Birdies for the Brave is a military outreach initiative proudly supported by the PGA TOUR that is dedicated to supporting the brave men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces and their families. Since 2005, the TOUR has joined with PGA TOUR players and corporate partners to raise millions of dollars for military homefront groups that provide critical programs and services to meet the specialized needs of wounded warriors and military families.
Birdies for the Brave was originally created by TOUR player Phil Mickelson and his wife, Amy, to support troops injured during combat. For each birdie or eagle made by Phil throughout the season, a contribution of $100 for a birdie or $500 for an eagle is made to Homes For Our Troops and Special Operations Warrior Foundation.
Birdies for the Brave has grown to include a variety of military outreach efforts:
- Patriots' Outpost military hospitality chalets
- Military celebrations held during PGA TOUR tournaments
- Letter-writing campaigns for the troops
- Distribution of care packages to troops stationed abroad
- Fundraising events conducted at TPCs nationwide.
Birdies for the Brave fundraising benefits eight national military homefront groups that are approved by the Department of Defense:
- United Through Reading
- Special Operations Warrior Foundation
- Homes for our Troops
- Navy Seal Foundation
- Wounded Warrior Project
- Military Warriors Support Foundation
- Operation Homefront
- Green Beret Foundation